The name Stephen means wreath or crown.
One of the chosen disciples to serve tables.
Stephen was the most prominent of these.
Although called to supervise benevolence s, he over leaped the limitations of his task and became a powerful preacher.
The remarkable defence of Stephen in which he summarized the Old Testament teachings provoked the Jewish leaders so much that they cast him out of the city and brutally stoned him to death. God, however, can make the wrath of man to praise Him, thus the prominent fruit of Stephen’s martyrdom was the conviction and conversion of Saul of Tarsus, who witnessed Stephen’s illegal murder, unsanctioned by Roman law.
Stephen.s character is worthy of Emulation.
He was a man:
- Full of Faith — no room for doubt or fear in his heart Acts 6:5
- Full of Grace — a gift from God providing itself in graciousness Acts 6:8
- Full of Power — the ability of God to do things Acts 6:8
- Full of Light — the Holy Spirit within have him the face of an angel Acts 6:15
- Full of Scripture — Stephen covered history from Abraham to Christ Acts 7.
- Full of Wisdom — Acts 6:3,10, wisdom from above James 1:5
- Full of Courage — the face and fear of man did not trouble Stephen Acts 7:51-56.
- Full of Love — the stones broke Stephens head at not his heart. Grace was his to give his murderers Acts 7:60.
- Acts 6:8 – a man full of God’s grace and power (church4u2.wordpress.com)
- Stephen’s Sermon in Post-Christian America (ldstalk.wordpress.com)
- Prayer and Fasting – DAY 12 (Share) (markconner.typepad.com)
- The Chains of Saint Peter (tvaraj.com)
- Islamists: Two stoned to death for committing adultery in Mali (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- Today’s Defeat Is Tomorrow’s Victory (dailybibleplan.com)
- The greater reality (pjcockrell.wordpress.com)