She thrashed the covers in her small bed, punching her pillow, trying to ignore the green numbers on the clock that flashed 2:00 a.m.
Recovering from a recent illness,she was exhausted. Her laptop was evidently just as sick as she was, for when she booted it up, numbers and scrolling messages exploded on the screen.
This normally happy girl, she was grouchy … overly sensitive … emotional.
Earlier that evening she had been quiet. if she opened her mouth, She wouldn’t be happy with what came out. The last thing She wanted on this ministry trip was to be the girl with her cranky pants on. Yet here She was wearing them with a capital “C.”
As the numbers flashed to 2:30 and then to 3:00, She wrestled with God.
She asked, “Lord, what is wrong with me?”
Again, “Father, how can you use a girl who’s wearing such a giant set of cranky pants?”
That’s when the scripture came to Her mind. Soft. Gentle. Like a whisper it played through HER thoughts, filtering down to HER heart:
“The LORD your God is in your midst…” (Zephaniah 3:17 ESV).
Right then. Right there. He was with her.
“He will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by His love.” (Zephaniah 3:17 ESV).
Her spiraling feelings. Her fatigued brain and body. He saw them all, and yet His gladness poured over her. He would quiet my whirling thoughts with His love.
“He will exult over you with loud singing.” (Zephaniah 3:17 ESV).
That’s when the tears dropped, because right there, even in her cranky pants, God saw her and was singing a majestic lullaby over His daughter.
She curled up in the blanket, closed her eyes, and sleep finally came.
- Maybe today you’re wearing your cranky pants with a capital “C.” You’re out of sorts. You’re biting your tongue to keep harsh words away from those you love. You’re tired spiritually or emotionally, or maybe it’s been a long time since you’ve rested physically.
- He sees you. He sees all of you. Not just the cranky pants, but your heart, and that you want nothing more than to be yourself again.
My Prayer For You:
My prayer is that you hear that lullaby gently playing. That you sense Him drawing you close. I pray that you’ll remember that we all have those days when we are out of sorts, or when everything seems to be going wrong. But most of all, I pray that you remember that our Heavenly Father doesn’t turn away from us in those moments, but brings peace to our troubled thoughts when we hold up them up with absolute honesty.
That next day She woke up tired physically, but rested on the inside, and her cranky pants were nowhere in sight.
I know they’ll pop up again. Life does that sometimes. But when it does, rather than hide from God, I’m going to run to Him instead … cranky pants, and all.
Dear Father, some days I stay away from You because I am ashamed of my feelings. Thank You that I can rest in Your grace as You pour out peace and quiet my thoughts with Your peace. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Related Resources: Reflect and Respond:
God’s grace is needed on good and bad days, but it’s often sought only on those days when you feel worthy and approved. But whose approval are you looking for? Yours, or the One who knows you best?
When you have your next cranky pants day, ask this question: Will I live today ACCUSED or will I be RESCUED by my Heavenly Father who promises to quiet me with His love?
- Zephaniah 3:17, “The LORD your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.” (ESV)
- Philippians 4:6-7, “Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.” (NLT)
- Proverbs 18 – Restore My Soul (graceofourlord.com)
- Captivating: Chapter 10 – “To Mother” – “My Sister, My Friend” (pgs 176-181) (girlfriendscoffeehour.com)
- My Inner Cranky Old Lady (lifewithoutbaby.com)
- Faith Child -Serving Him? Singing (ptl2010.com)
- What Choice Do You Have? (bibleopia.wordpress.com)
- End times church countdown: God wants these two things (kzlam36.wordpress.com)